Interview with an Umpyre…

Joe Ingram from Independent Fabrication came to see us today – he’s a top man and has a wicked spin bowl. Here’s a few words on the past, present and future of the company.
Music is Final Broadcast by Statistics courtesy of the podsafe music network.
You can download here, feed is here or subscribe via iTunes here.

17 Responses to “Interview with an Umpyre…”

1. Simon says:

Good interview Tim, interesting stuff :)

2. Andy Corso says:

Happy New Year Tim&Judith…..

Thanks for publishing the interview with Joe, well worth listening to, Joe comes across as a particularly sane individual. Good to hear that IF is in such rude health! ……. can’t wait to hear/see about the new 953 frames……

cheers

Andy

Hullo Andy, glad you enjoyed it.

4. matt says:

Another great podcast, Tim.

Very interesting, and a great song at the end… makes me want to work in a company like IF, not for the money, just for the pride.

That’s what it’s all about Matt. After reading the Velonews thing, when their guy went to Boston and visited IF and Seven, it made me think – yup, I know that I’m dealing with the right guys. I’ll try to find a link to the article and post it here.

Here’s a link to what Turner was saying – I agree with him, but Joe does point out that IF manage to make a complete bike easily enough. I suppose the materials and type of frame make it a little easier to come up with a hardtail, as opposed to a full suspension design though. As witnessed by the still current lack of Tungsten Electrode frames :-)

7. Andy says:

hopefully their(IF) experiences of outsourceing(sp?) won’t stop them from pursuing full sus designs……. maybe they should look at building the Tungsten rear-ends from 953?, ……. I just have an aversion to all things aluminium!

They are still very much going ahead with the T.E., but I doubt they’ll try anything else for a while.

9. Cris B says:

That’s a very informative bit of journalism Mr Johnson. It was great to hear Joe telling it like it is! Scott Holland’s Beatstick is registered with the IF owners’ club and can be seen in the register under other IFs: http://www.ifrider.com/

There is another one in the exclusive photos available in the members only section of the site too. That and some photos of the uber-exclusive Steel Tungsten Electrode Beatstick bike prototype. IF are ace.

Tim also has a photo of the Reynolds 953 Prototype up here: http://www.sidewayscycles.co.uk/i/00/04/24.jpg

10. salsaboy says:

Very interesting stuff tim. That 953 is just tooo shiney. I look forward to joining the IF owners club…..sometime soon.

11. DaveP says:

Tim,

Got round to listening to the interview… good to hear a manufacturer talk so candidly about their products.

One question though, nothing to do with the bikes, I can’t make my mind up if Joe is an expat Brit or a Yank trying to speak properly…. Do you know which? ;-)

Joe lived in th U.K. until he was 12 iirc.

13. Zola says:

Yep, I noticed the l-o-n-g A’s and wondered.

Did you know it’s something that incredibly hard to change – if you were brought up as a ’short’ a person and try to ‘go posh’ by introducing ‘long’ a’s, you ‘ll fail and end up like someone I know saying ” well faaaaaarrncy that” :-)

14. Andy Corso says:

Infamy! …… I see Sideways has made the front page of the IF website….

well done Tim!

15. [...] Joe from IF has been over to the UK for the New Year and whilst in the North west popped in to see UK Indy Fab importer Tim Johnson at Sideways Cycles. Tim interviewed Joe and coaxed a few words out of him about the past, present and future of the company. You can listen to the whole thing as a mp3 podcast, so you can download it and listen to it on the way home, on your next training ride, when you’re walking the dog, etc…check it out. [...]