Figure this out for me…

We have been using TNT as a courier, they have been good – no real delivery problems, they collect every day, the driver is a good bloke and their price has been sensible. Last week they write and tell me that due to the volume of business we’re doing at the minute, they are doubling our costs. Not just increasing, but DOUBLING!

Now, fair enough, I’d expect an increase in a quiet period, but that’s just silly. I arranged a meeting with my representitive, to explain that either they return the charges to close to the previous level, or I’m off to find a new courier. Guess what?

We’re finding a new courier – as a result, deliveries will be a bit shonky for the next few days.

10 Responses to “Figure this out for me…”

1. Dave Dodd says:

Makes our pricing control under regulation seem like a good idea for once. Hope you find someone Tim.

2. Andy S says:

I was ay a Water works yesterday and the operator was telling me that one day the poly they use for sludge thickening was £1000 for an IBC, next day it was £2000. And they didn’t even get an explanation. So it happens all over.

Have you tried Business Express, though I think they are now called HOME? Know nothing about price quality etc, just that a mate is a driver for em.

3. matt says:

That’s terrible, Tim.

4. Grim says:

Why not just use Royal Mail
    Rates don`t depend on amount of business, and they do collect!

We don’t charge postage on stuff, so from our point of view, it needs to be both efficient and inexpensive. The Royal Mail is great for small items, but bigger stuff and expensive stuff costs a lot more than even our new rates with TNT.

We’ve been offered more sensible rates from a couple of other companies so far, I just need to decide which one to go with. I’m favouring ANC, as then I can spend hours doing the ‘diplomatic immunity’ gag :-)

6. Cris B says:

Don’t forget to mention the krugerrands too :)

Yay the African National Congress has come up trumps. Their distribution hub is just up the road too, so not only do we get really late collections, we can drop stuff off after hours too.

Now, where’s me sjambok…

8. matt says:

You don;t charge for postage?
    wow!

That’s far too generous, I fully expect to pay postage if I’m buying from a smaller business… or is it a secret plan ot lure customers into your den so Judith can pounce on them? ;)

Nah, we charge RRP on stuff, but not postage.

10. matt says: