Technology my arse…

Right, this computer nonsense is getting silly now. My PC is still at the menders, and as a temporary measure, I’m using AOL dialup, cause I can’t get my braodband modem working with my laptop. If anyone out there can get me a driver for a Binatone Broadband ADSL 500 USB modem (Revision A), burn it onto a disc and send it to me, I’d be grateful for at least 60 seconds, until after which it would burst into flames and burn the fucking house down, knowing my luck with technology. I’ve tried downloading some, but nothing works (as usual). If you actually know what you’re doing with computers and would like to earn a few quid/parts/a quick fumble in the workshop, then please come and help. Please…

Cock.

16 Responses to “Technology my arse…”

1. crayons says:

I had a simliar prob recently, the ADSL filters (little white box you plug into wall on short lead and the modem goes into the back of it) are prone to dying the earlier ones are not too well made, BT have had loads of probs with them, you should have got two of them from bt, try changing it or borrow one from neighbour, ring BT help and they should send another to you.

I know f-all but that’s what the BT help man told me anyway. If you don’t mind staying on the line for hours, the helpline is quite helpful surprisingly

2. Gray says:

Hey Tim,

Did you download drivers from here:

?

The zipfile on there is 2.7Mb. If that’s not the one that you tried but didn’t work, then I can easily download ’em for you. Unless the weather’s really poo tomorrow, I’ll be busy all weekend though so can’t come over. But I could bring it round on Monday after work if it’d help.

I’m far from an IT god, but have ADSL at home and CD / DVD burner, so could download anything you want and bring it on round.

I also have microfilters which appear to work in my house, so could bring one round to try that to see if that might be the cause. Let me know if I can help… can’t guarantee to remember to check back here though, so best if you email me or page me on cheeky or summat I s’pose!

Gray

I have down loaded the driver, but my laptop won’t allow the .exe file to open (cause it might be dangerous), turned off firewall, have no anti virus software and still the same. I have had offers of help from a few folk, so it should be alright – thanks though.

Micro filter might not be a bad idea anyway, but that’s certainly not the problem.

5. Gray says:

How do you know that the laptop thinks the .exe mght be dangerous? Does it pop up a window that says so? Is there no clue in the task manager processes list as to what might be running that can be blocking it? Is it possible / wise to boot into safe mode and install it from there (I’ve no idea if that would work)? Can you try running the .exe from a DOS prompt instead of a double click (I doubt that makes any difference)? Would it not be wise just to save what you need from the laptop, format its hard drive and reinstall Windows from scratch?

I’ve never known Windows actually block something like that – Outlook may try to if it’s come through in an email, or AV software could, but if you’ve got none of that then I don’t really get it. But then, as I say, I’m not a real IT geek. I’m just a fake-ass It Girl wannabe, or something.

Oh hey Tim, guess what? I’m moving to London-ish. In March. New cool job. Lots more money, but no hills. Hmm. Main thing is, new lot aren’t so likely to decide to shut down my bit and get rid of me on a whim. Which will be better.

London? Noooo, that’s rubbash. Tell them no.

7. Simon says:

Tim, you didn’t listen. He said loads more money. That means he’ll be able to afford the Nomad he really wants.

Did Dan fix your computer? I would have come down today to have a poke around but I’ve been ill.

The PC is still being de-virused. Should be back here on Monday night. As for what I’ll do then, well – who knows?

The drivers for my broadband modem won’t load onto my laptop, so I went out and bought a new one – guess what – the drivers for that don’t intall correctly either. Plug and play? Plug my arse.

9. Gray says:

Ah, but I’ll be living in the flat south, so there’ll be no need for a posh new bouncy bike. I might even have to downsize my current little family. But it is lots more money, so if / when I do need new things, they may well be posh things from my favourite fake uncle!

I think computers are cock too, by the way. If you’ve got a desktop and a laptop though, wouldn’t it be easier to buy a (maybe wireless) ADSL router thingummy, and connect that to your desktop and laptop via either ethernet or wifi doodahs, rather than muck about with USB modems?

But you’ll be far away and we’ll see you even less then 🙁

ADSL router thingy, oh yes sounds like a great idea, I’m sure it would all work a treat 🙁

11. Gray says:

I’ll just eat LOTS of pies. That way, even though I’ll be far away, I’ll look just the same. 🙂

Well, I’ve got my pc back (thanks Mark). Guess what?

That’s right, I can’t get most of it to work. No internet, no shipping software, no iTunes, no photo software, nothing of any use really. Word still seems to work, but that’s about all so far.

13. Al says:

I know it’s probably not much use but I could come down on Saturday morning and have a look at it for you if you want. Sounds like you’re looking at a backup data, wipe everything & reinstall Windows scenario though. 🙁

Reckon the router idea’s a good one – much less hassle than USB.

14. Gray says:

Does it have a working CD or DVD writer? Or do you have a spare hard drive? Sounds to me like backing up everything you need from it, then wiping and reinstalling Windows from scratch, is the easiest way to make it work properly, in the absence of a real computer kid who can figure out what’s gone wrong. Course, if it’s some obscure hardware issue then you’re screwed however you look at it. Doesn’t sound terribly likely though.

Ho,ho, it appears IR IT god. ‘ve got it working, all I need to do now is figure out the missing bits from all the other stuff on there.

Stay tuned folks, I know you can’t take this much excitement too often…

16. Gray says:

Woo yay!

I might email you in that case. That’ll be exciting, won’t it?